1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp salted butter, melted + extra for frying
2 cups shredded Sincerely, Brigitte Garlic Basil Cheese
1 cup grated parmesan
1 1/2 cups warm water
1. Finely blend cornmeal in a high speed blender or food processor until the texture of flour. Transfer the corn
meal flour to a mixing bowl, add the sugar and stir to combine.
2. Add the melted butter and 1/2 cup of the warm water. Stir until all of the cornmeal is wet. Add the cheese
and mix again. Add another 1/2 cup of warm water and stir. If the mixture is thick and dry, slowly add the
remaining 1/2 cup of water a bit at a time. You don’t want the batter to be too wet and soupy.
3. Cover the bowl with a damp towel and set aside for 15 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
5. Heat a cast iron skillet or nonstick pan over medium heat with 1 tablespoon of butter. When the butter
begins to sizzle, scoop a 1/2 cup of the batter into the pan and fry for 2 minutes on each side. Place the fried
arepas on the parchment lined baking sheet. When all of the arepas are fried, place the baking sheet in the
oven and cook for 15 minutes. The arepas will rise a bit while baking.
6. Let the arepas cool slightly on the counter then slice in half and add fillings of your choice. Suggestions:
black beans, avocado, more Sincerely, Brigitte Garlic Basil Cheese, lox, cream cheese, pesto..