Garlic and Basil Grilled Cheese with Walnut Pesto
24-26 large basil leaves
2 tbsp chopped walnuts
3 tbsp grated parmesan ( we used Natural and Kosher)
1 tbsp + 1 tsp dijon mustard
2 packed tbsp chopped sun dried tomatoes, packed in oil
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Zest of one lemon (about 1 tsp)
4 slices sliced Tuscan bread
4 slices Sincerely Brigitte Garlic Basil Cheese Slices
Butter or non-hydrogenated vegetable spread, enough to cover both slices of bread
1. Combine basil leaves, walnuts, parmesan, mustard, sun dried tomatoes, olive oil and lemon zest in the food processor. Pulse a few times until all the ingredients are well incorporated, to create a creamy spread.
2. Lightly toast the bread.
3. Butter on side of each slice of bread
4. Spread 1 tablespoon of pesto on the non buttered side of each slice of bread.
5. Top with 2 slices Sincerely Brigitte Garlic Basil Cheese and top with the other slice of bread to make the sandwich. Repeat for each sandwich.
6. Heat a non stick skillet. Place sandwiches buttered side down on the skillet. Cook over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes per side or until cheese is melted and bread is crunchy.
NOTE: the pesto makes about 1/2 cup. You will have some leftovers that you can use over pasta if desired.